Monday, July 20, 2009

We Aint Goin Nowhere... Welcome To DC Jeremy Jarmon

Instead of adding depth to the O-line in an effort to put more points on the board, the redskins seem to be taking a different approach this off-season. The exact opposite approach actually: Leave the O-line alone, build a defense that resembles a brick wall. I would like to welcome Jeremy Jarmon to DC at this time; you made the right decision kid. Also at this time I would like to say that although the Skins have caught a lot of slack for this approach to team-building the past couple of months, I think it's absolutely brilliant.

Despite what critics say, our O-line is not bad. We've got a lot of clutch players as well as some players who may become clutch players in the future. Jason Campbell is one of those possible future play makers. Being an Auburn Alum, I'd like to point out at this time that Jason is a rookie in the realm of having an unchanging offensive system. The West Coast system the Skins are using now is similar to the system the 2004 Auburn Tigers football team utilized. If you are unfamiliar with how Jason played under this system... let me familiarize you for a minute...



I guess I could have just given you some 2004 strictly Jason Highlights but the War Eagle spirit runs deep in my veins and that video gives me chills every time I watch it. Can you blame me for wanting to share this with the world? 1:18 in the video is my favorite. Don't ever say Jason Campbell cant throw deep because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Jason currently holds the record for the longest touchdown completion in Auburn football history; an 87 yard pass to Silas Daniels in 2004 against Louisiana Tech University. I was there. Look it up.

In 2004 Jason led Auburn to an undefeated season, an SEC championship and ultimately ended up (cough) second (cough) in the nation after #1 USC destroyed #2 Oklahoma 55-19 in the Orange Bowl. Just thinking about that game makes me want to kill a kitten. #3 Auburn beat #8 Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl that year and then... that was it. The season came to an end and Auburn fans everywhere were left with a bitter "what if" mentality which haunts me to this day. I'm sure it's not hard to tell what my feelings on the BCS are; or my feelings towards USC for that matter. Auburn football has never been the same and that doesn't help my bitterness. They do, however, still manage to make bad ass pre-game videos. Observe:



Sigh. Auburn I will love you forever. Anyways, if I'm still feeling shafted from that year I'm willing to bet Jason is too. If I were him I'd be hungry for success and anxious to prove myself. I'm not really worried about Jason this year and it would seem, based on their recent actions, that Snyder, Cerrato and Zorn aren't either. I'm ignoring the fact that they were crushing on Jay Cutler and Mark Sanchez for a hot minute; I think they just enjoy the drama. I also think they have a fetish with young, hot quarterbacks. Can you blame them?

Despite my feelings towards Snyder and Cerrato (love Zorn), building up our defense like this while we wait for Campbell to adjust and blossom, if you will, is pure genius. Jarmon is young; he's really young. He's a big boy; 6'3" 277 lbs at the moment. He also seems to have a good head on his shoulders. "What are you talking about!?" You say, "He failed his drug test and was kicked off his college team! He's a thug at best!" You, my friend, fail at life if this is your opinion.

Kentucky has their rules, they obviously stick to them and that's fine. This isn't a case of hard drugs or marijuana use though. He was using a diuretic supplement that he probably got at GNC (the salesmen there are good. They'll get you to buy stuff you never knew you always needed) while recovering from a shoulder injury. There's a lot of responsibility that goes along with playing NCAA division I-A football but there is also a lot of pressure and I think we forget how young these players really are. I'm not gonna get into what I was doing my junior year in college because it's not really important; but I went to a big southern football university, had classes with some players, saw them out on the town at night, etc. Let me tell you that it doesn't matter how good they are on the field, some of them are just plain dumb off the field. So trust me when I say that Jarmon is no dummy. Listen to the interview.

Now, don't you agree that he sounds articulate and level-headed? He sounds ready. He already has his degree in political science from UK and is focused on his future. He likes political science and football... is there any better place in the world for those two things than DC? He's a perfect fit.

How long have I been rambling? 20 minutes... give or take? Sheesh. I had a point. I may have already made it but I need a conclusion so here ya go. The Redskins are building an impenetrable defense. Though I doubt Jarmon will start for the Skins this year, the pick will not be a loss by any means. He'll be practicing with the team, watching and learning from the best, growing, absorbing information and hell, who knows? If it's a good fit he may just start. If not, there's always next year and the years ahead. He wants to play for Washington and maybe that's why I'm so partial to him. I love when players want to be a Redskin instead of, say, a Tampa Bay Buc or something: It's proof for me that we're building a powerhouse team here in Washington, and that excites the hell outta me.

When a team has an impenetrable defense they win football games. It's a fact; an undeniable truth. It doesn't even really matter if your offense is sub-par: When other teams cannot score against you, well, then they simply cant beat you. The 2000 Ravens team and 2008 Steelers team are just a couple of examples. You get the idea. I'm sick of hearing people complain about our O-line and bitching about our team management. We all want the same things: We want to win, we want to dominate, we want respect, we want other teams to fear us, and we want another Superbowl win. Right now for the Redskins, I can think of no better approach than to create a crazy awesome defense. It takes some pressure off our offense, and maybe without all that added stress they'll actually excel like I know they can! It's perfect. Do the damn thang defense. God I can't wait for football season!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES!! For the win!!! Thanks for reminding everyone about Auburn's 2004 year in which we got CHEATED on!!!! But, defense wins championships, and with Jason having the same Offensive coordinator for the first time in forever I believe he WILL prove doubters wrong!!! REALLY, REALLY, REALLY great post!!!
~The Persian Baller