Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The T.O. Show

Last year I hated T.O. more than almost every other human on the planet. Rivalries are a funny thing aren't they? Being a Skins fan I naturally detest all things Dallas. This slightly taints my view of their players though. I wholeheartedly believed that I hated T.O. due to his cocky arrogance, for his blatant disregard to the "no I in team" and for the way he placed the blame on his teammates when he didn't perform well. When he was on the market for a new team, at first, I wanted to vom at the slightest thought or mention of him ever becoming a Redskin. "T.O. is a cancer" I'd say, "If he comes to the Skins I'll riot in protest! Dan Snyder better watch his back. I cannot and will not be held responsible for what I most certainly will do to him." T.O.'s temporary unemployment caused extreme stress in my life. One team was gonna get cancer and I lived in fear that it would be the Skins. For reasons I cant explain, I was slightly surprised when he signed with Buffalo; but also relieved. Let him rot in upstate New York, I thought. Enjoy the winter. And with that, the T.O. drama ended. Until...

The Superstars aired on TV.
I saw a preview and was immediately interested in the show for one reason and one reason only: Seeing T.O. in a light other than football. I was curious about him. The Dallas hatred had actually worn off and I was eager to see the other sides of Terrell Owens. I was hooked after one episode. I began to understand the cockiness. He's competitive to the core: He wants to win. He has to win. He's an outstanding athlete. That's an understatement... He's black Superman.

After episodes two and three I had to admit... I was pretty much in love with this guy. He's an equal opportunity shit-talker. He understands that he wont always win but he hates it and will always think that he should have won because he believes that he's the best. I actually admire this attitude. He's so passionate about his sport that he doesn't worry or care about other people and their feelings because they don't matter. He wants the ball, he wants to score, he wants to win- that's his only focus. He probably shouldn't have chosen a team sport to go pro in but c'est la vie. If everyone in the NFL had the same intensity as T.O., I think the sport would be better off. Just my opinion. But can you imagine?! I can. And it's awesome.

So I'm going through Twitter updates yesterday and ProFootballTalk had a recent update that read like this, ""The T.O. Show" Is Coming Soon http://tinyurl.com/mhr7vp #NFL" 10:46 AM Jul 7th from API. (You should follow them if you're on Twitter) My jaw dropped. I clicked the link. Here it is again because I want you all to watch the trailer that much:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/07/the-to-show-is-coming-soon/

I watched the whole trailer and was excited to learn that T.O. is indeed human. News to me. He cries... whoa. Just watch the trailer. The show premieres July 20th on VH1. You know I'll be watching.

All it took was a little "reality" television and no Dallas affiliation to get me to appreciate T.O. and now I have a totally new game plan. T.O. plays for the Bills this year and puts up ridiculous numbers. Maybe he even learns how to be a little respectful towards his coaches and fellow teammates since football's so crucially team oriented. That would be nice: Respect and Ridiculous numbers. The Bills need more help than ridiculous numbers though (especially with the future of the team so up in the air right now... Toronto??... Realllly?!?) Anyways, so at the end of the season he hunts again for a new team. He has to be careful though; he's going through football teams faster than fire spreads in Southern California. The NFL is already sick of it but I feel like this time they'll understand. One last time- one last team. A team with extreme potential. It has to be the team. A team that could use one last piece (T.O.) of the puzzle (a balanced offense/defense) to become whole. With T.O. this team will become a perfect, unbeatable football machine bound for Superbowl glory. The team I'm talking about is obviously the Redskins and yes, I'm serious.

It's perfect. Terrell was a Cowboy and if you watched the trailer you saw that he's blatantly bitter towards them. Welcome to DC; we shoot Cowboys with their own guns. I think he'd love it here. I think he would excel here. I think he would have excellent chemistry with the rest of the team. I'm gonna say it-- He needs a big, rich team in which the players are pretty ghetto. We are that. Indeed. Except for Jason Campbell; that boy is white. He's whiter than Colt Brennan. Ok, bad example, Colt's actually black on the inside... He's whiter than Todd Collins. Nailed it. Jason Campbell would be a great quarterback for Terrell. A calm, strong, drama-free QB. Not that other people don't bring drama to him but he handles it differently than Tony Romo. He doesn't let it get to him and he doesn't feed the media anything extra. He doesn't have any ego issues and he doesn't have a last name that rhymes with Homo. That last part doesn't really matter I guess but I felt like it was important to add for personal reasons.

Fun tidbit before I get into it more: T.O. was also a Philadelphia Eagle for a couple years. He has NFC East Revenge written all over him. His first year as an Eagle they made it to the Superbowl only to be shutdown by the almighty Patriots. Another factoid: The Eagles have NEVER won a Superbowl. And one last fun fact: The last Superbowl that the Redskins won was in '92... Superbowl XXVI. The Redskins defeated none other than (dun dun dunnn) The Buffalo Bills. 37-24. Pretty cool huh? Ok, back to Campbell...

This is Campbells make or break year. I believe he'll make it and make you go "Ohhhh!" but should he not make it I have more than enough faith in our backup QBs. Chase Daniel and Colt Brennan both have quick releases and are good in the pocket. They also have easy going personalities are easy to get along with. They're good people on and off the field and that's important. I'm really anxious to see Colt perform this pre-season. I'm a big fan of the sidearm throw and his split second decision-making skills. That kid can scramble. He also had hip surgery in the off season and I've heard he's recovered nicely. So Campbell or Colt are both excellent QB options (I'm biased towards them so I'm not considering others).

Other teams would not be able to stop us. You cant drop back and double or triple up on T.O. when you have Santana Moss or Devin Thomas (he WILL be great) in there eager and ready to catch the ball and do a TD dance! Not to mention Antwaan Randle El and Malcolm Kelly (who will also be great). What about Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright? Ya gonna leave them wide open to take the ball and run?!? Because they will. Especially Cooley and Portis; they are get-that-ball-and-go-go-go machines (as long as (pray) Portis stays healthy. Please stay healthy Portis. Please GOD stay healthy. Amen). And what about Mike Sellers!?!!?

Ok, I think you get my drift. Offense would be stacked. With the signing of Albert Haynesworth (BEAST!) and Brian Orakpo this year, defense is gonna be ridiculous. Steelers ridiculous. It excites me just thinking about it. Now let's get real. The Redskins have been unreliable in the past; they're inconsistent and just doggone frustrating for fans bleeding burgundy and gold year round. I hope I'm not being irrational though when I say that I believe in this team. This isn't just a make or break year for Jason; with our average O-Line age in the 30's... 2009 is a make or break year for this Redskins unit as a whole. Not to mention Coach Zorn (What's the opposite of Hip Hip Hurray?)

Sure
we could trade some players, cut some players over the "ideal" NFL age, draft some newbies and pick up some free agents and they'd still be the Redskins but... although I will always love the Redskins... it just wouldn't seem right if say, Chris Cooley wasn't our TE. Ya know? I'd feel abandoned and empty if he were to be traded to the Broncos or something. I'd cry every single game. Maybe every day. Seriously. After all these years I haven't just been cheering on the Redskins as a whole, I've been cheering on the players as individuals. I was so sad when they let Marcus Washington go this year. Sad AND mad. Marcus was the man; the all around man. AND he was an Auburn Tiger Alum! I met him at a bar once and not only is he adorable as hell but he's also the nicest guy. I just happened to be wearing an Auburn sweatshirt at the time and he came up and gave me an enthusiastic, "War Eagle!" (it's our battle cry). Top ten moments of my life right there. . War Damn Eagle Marcus.

Granted, these players aren't my close, personal friends (by any means unfortunately) but in my own little world they're like family. We're a big, happy, football loving Redskins family. I've probably said that before; and it sounds just as corny this time. But if you're a fan of any NFL team or even college for that matter I'm sure you know what it's like. Imagine if Tim Tebow decided this year to go to the University of Georgia and play for them. Impossible... but just imagine. People would get effing killed because of it. Literally. Southern college football fans are insane (insanely awesome that is).

But I digress. I digress a lot. Back to point C: The Redskins will make it this year: Period. We have to and we can; therefor we will. It's a big deal. Back to point B: T.O. will see how far we've come and want to play with/for us. He'll understandably want to get the hell out of Buffalo (or Toronto or wherever) and he would shine in a city like DC. Just look at Alexander Ovechkin! Alex is intense like a category 5 hurricane. He celebrates after he makes incredible goals and many people would call his celebration tactics (like T.O.'s) controversial and disrespectful: Some people really don't like it (haters). But here in DC... We love us some Great 8; he's one hell of a SuperStar. He is it. We know he's just having fun out there. Leave em alone! Let em play! He's awesome! He even got the keys to the city. Does that happen often?? Answer: Big No. He's DC royalty. T.O. would revel in this city. If he's smart (which he is) he should take a tip from Ovie and practice being a little humble off the field. Just try it out. Not only is it good for your soul but it'll be good for your bank account. Women think it's hot too. I mean he's already hot but... anyways.

Now full circle back to point A: Watch The T.O. Show. Watch it even if every ounce of you hates him. Whether you like it or not, I'm pretty certain (like 98%) he'll grow on you. I'm sorry but he will; unless you suck at life. In which case you should probably crack open a beer, chill the eff out and stop being such a hater. Also, please don't move out of Philly or Pittsburgh. Just stay put. You belong there.

I could be wrong about Terrell Owens. I could be wrong about the Skins this year. I could be wrong about everything. On the other hand though I could be right, and I like that idea much more. Skins fans get ready: The Future Is NOW.

No comments: