Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Kicking A Field Goal Is Harder Than It Looks?


Trust me I will be posting about the 49ers game a little later. Right now 1. I don't want to think about it yet and 2. I have an article to finish for work but I couldn't stop myself from responding quickly to a comment left on my blog under That's What We Call A Sweep.

I love love love comments, and this is no exception. Thank you Dating Without Pants for reading my blog, it makes me very happy :) You'll have to read the post and check out the whole comment to completely understand my response but part of it read like this, "making a field goal is much harder than it looks". I agree wholeheartedly. That's why Suisham, Rackers, Longwell, Akers and the rest of them get paid more than my entrepreneurial workaholic dad; it's not easy doing what they do.

But... Football is more than a sport, it's a career. And kicking Field goals and PAT's is their job. Their J-O-B. They know what they're doing, they have done it millions of times. Those 10-20 seconds in the game when they judge the wind, make sure they've stretched enough by kicking the air once, point their arm toward the center of the goal post and finally kick the ball that's magically been placed down in front of them is all they do. They train endlessly for it; this is their moment to shine. And shine they should because most of the time when the kicker runs out onto the Field (unless it's for the PAT) it's not just to gain an extra three points in a landslide victory game, it's to save the game because their team has failed in their attempt to make it into the end zone. Their team needs them.

I'm not cocky or ignorant in my female football love. I know that anyone genuinely interested in a blog centered around football already knows everything I've already written. The real point of this post is really just to show off. So maybe I am a little cocky. ;)

At Fed Ex Field there is something known as 'The Tailgate Club' and I've been lucky enough to have been a part of it once. You can buy wristbands to the this tailgate when you purchase season tickets (if you are so lucky to get to the top of the never ending waiting list for Redskins season tickets-- this stadium is always a sell out crowd). I think it was the last pre-season game that my friend Samson invited me to go with him. I had never been to the tailgate club and I had more fun than a 5 year-old in Candy Heaven.

There was a huge (free) BBQ, a meet and greet with some Redskin cheerleaders, huge replicas of your favorite players bodies with only the head missing so it would seem as though you were the player when you posed behind it, big blow-up Redskins receivers with holes where the football should be so you could try to throw the football into the holes and, of course, a place to kick Field goals. I had to try everything. I had never tried to kick a Field goal before but I did used to be a soccer player and I'm not trying to brag but... I am pretty gifted when it comes to sports.

Sometimes I wish I had been born a boy since opportunities for girls and sports are limited after college (limited meaning there really aren't any) but I love being a girl too much to harp on that wish for too long. God knew what he was doing when he made me. If I had been born a boy I would probably just be blogging now about all the opportunities I let slip me by because I had been too drunk, too rebellious, too lazy or simply not confidant enough to pursue. Let bygones be bygones right?

But I digress.

Back to the point. If a 5'4 115 pound 24 year old can make it on her first try (in flip flops no less)... I stand firm that pro football kickers with years of experience should make it. I'm not looking for perfection but fans should never really have waves of worry wash over them when their teams kicker runs out onto the Field; missing a Field goal should be a rare occurrence. I'm sick of biting my nails (which I hate doing) when Suisham lines up his kick. He's better than that. His paycheck says so.

Wanna see me kick my first Field goal?? Of course you do :)

I would have uploaded it here for you to watch but unfortunately I don't have it saved on my computer since it was taken with Samson's camera. But I made the Myspace video public so hopefully you'll be able to see it.

Other memories from that day...
It took me three tries to throw the ball into Cooley's awaiting arms. The picture was just taken as a fun reminder.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLEY

Happy girl :)

2 comments:

Dating Without Pants said...

Hey, thanks for the mention! You're right, it is their job. I think the same thing about WRs ... their job is to catch passes for a living. Every time they drop a simple pass it makes me want to launch the nearest item at the TV.

Anthony M Burrola said...

"Football is more than a sport, it's a career."

It's a job, but it's not a career. I respectfully disagree. Football is more of an opportunity, leading to a social networking process that one hopes will keep them around the sport in some way or another.